SA 365 C1 Dauphin
by Alan (1:50 Heller)
I decided I wanted to build a Royal Hong Kong Air Force Dauphin circa 1982/83 as I served in Hong Kong during that time and nostalgia was creeping up on me. I settled on the old Heller Dauphin 1/50 kit as it seemed to be the closest in form to the aircraft I wanted to depict: HKG-1 of the Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force (RHKAAF).
Originally I thought it would be a case of tweaking a few parts, a paint job and some custom decals. However, once I got started and the more I researched, the more I realized that I had bitten off a much bigger job than I realized. The build took me around 7 months in total... and a lot more scratch building than I had anticipated!
The base kit: Heller 1/50 Dauphin SA365Also taking part in this build as donor parts were the Trumpeter Dauphin of which I used two of the wheels, a few parts from the rotor head, and the Eduard etch for the Trumpeter Dauphin of which I used about 20% of the parts, such as the windscreen wipers and the Fenestron rotor.
The rebuilt Starflex rotor head was made of roughly 50/50 the Heller kit and the Trumpeter kit with some scratch built parts. I used the blade roots from the Trumpeter kit with the blades themselves from the Heller kit.
The scratch building was done out of necessity as I couldn't find any aftermarket parts or suitable donor kits, so I used basically anything I could find that looked as if it could do the job.
Published on 25. November 2014
To reply or post here you need to be registered and logged in on scalemates.com.