Modellbau Magazin Scale Rotors
You are here: Home > Gallery > Utility Helicopters > Bell 212

Bell 212

by David Funke (1:72 Revell)

Bell 212

Unfortunately, the time of the Bell 212 in the German Federal Police (formerly BGS ) is over. Despite the final fly-out in 2012, I did not want to give up a "reminder in the model." I had the old kit from Revell (04432) from 1997 in my stash. The kit is based on the UH -1N from Italeri and Revell included BGS typical parts such as the emergency floatation gear, boarding steps for the landing gear, a few antennas and markings for two contemporary machines of the BGS Flying Squadron North based at Fuhlendorf in Schleswig-Holstein. Unfortunately, the kit has incorrect side cowling for the engine with air cooling mesh, but this can be easily replaced by the other parts which are included in the current kits of the Bell 212 and 412.

Bell 212

I opted for the “D- HAJO” an aircraft in the offshore configuration, which was equipped for the police duties over the water with a emergency floats. Initially I was attracted to the great “shark fin” stabilizer on the cabin roof, however, this option would require a complex scratch construction of the pilot seats. Unfortunately, seats from other kits could not be used either, because they are nowhere represented correctly. Fortunately, the aircraft of the BGS were equipped around 2000/2001 with crash-resistant seats by F + E, as they are also common for modern Eurocopter. Again I could steal the seats from a Revell EC-145.

Bell 212

The kit provides for the interior only troops seats which were not correct for the chosen aircraft. Therefore, I stuffed two additional fuel tanks, two operator / observer workstations, a cabinet, and the seawater protection mat for winch operations. In addition, I used the PE set for the Bell UH -1N from Eduard.

Bell 212

The windows in the sliding doors were also incorrect. Civilian Bell 212s sliding door windows have angular and sharp edges, with the military UH -1N, the edges are rounded. I sanded the corners "square" and attached a new transparent material. Though not quite realistic, I decided to leave the rear doors and the front door open display. For this purpose I cut the front door out of the fuselage half and gave it some structure on the back side. The original engine exhaust pipes are a little rough for my taste. I rebuilt from thin alloy material and painted by them with "Jet Exhaust" by Alclad.

Bell 212

Revell suggests in the manual its own colour "Moss Gree " for the outer airframe. Comparing with photos, I noticed that the suggested colour looks too green. When the helicopter sits in the sun, the Revell colour matches almost. However, in the shadow of the machines look very gray. After a short research I determined the colour RAL6012 “Schwarzgrün”. In Ebay I found a small amount of this tone for the automotive use. It fits perfectly and the paint has a superior glossy finish.

Bell 212

The rotor should be bound “BGS typical”on the skid. On photos you can see often that the stabilizer bar is slightly angled. That's why I rebuilt the largest part of the rotor mast and the stabilizer mechanism of thin aluminium sheet from scratch. I bent the front blade down and made the rotor tie a line of aluminium foil and wire to the blade.

Bell 212

This added expense is worth it to bring some life into this timeless model helicopter. At this point I would like to thank Felix T. for his expert support and advice during construction.

David Funke

Published on 18. November 2013

To reply or post here you need to be registered and logged in on scalemates.com.

You are here: Home > Gallery > Utility Helicopters > Bell 212

© 2008-2012 Scale Rotors | About us | Submissions | Privacy | Advertise